Texas Archery Academy
TEAMS Development Programs
Star Achievement White (Introduce equipment choices & Join a USA Archery program to begin skill ranking and tournament participation)
- Know the differences and advantages of: Olympic, Compound, Traditional Recurve, Longbow, Crossbow
- Learn shooting form for each type of bow.
- Explain the concepts for anchor and alignment for each type of bow
- Target sights for Recurve and Compound, Hunting sights, Peeps, gap shooting, string walking
- Knows how to aim without a sight and make adjustments to a sight when using one
- Learn terms used in archery, End, Round, see glossary of terms.
Review range layout and commands to control shooting
- Be familiar with the layout for a standard World Archery Indoor and Outdoor range
- Demonstrate controlling the shooting line with: Whistles, Horns, Lights, Flags, and Verbal commands.
- Takes turns leading Stretching and Warming up techniques – demonstrate use training aids—string bow, PVC bow and stretching bands
- Begin keeping a Practice Journal
- Proficiency of shooting Blue ring or better on 5-color target, at 18m
- Drills and Skills to improve shoot grouping
- Anchor & Alignment, walk-back to 18 meters
- Must shoot at 1 TAIL and 1 local tournament
- Must attend 1 team practice session each week.
- Must practice archery form with training aids a minimum of 1 hours per week at home
- Must enroll** in JOAD or AAA team
- Recreational practice – expected to shoot two 100 arrow sessions per week, in addition to weekly team practice.
Shooting proficiency: (to be shot a TAIL shoot)
- Indoor JOAD –30 arrows 18m 100 points, Olympic 60cm; Comp 40cm
- Indoor AAA –30 arrows 18m 40cm, Trad 150 pts; Olympic 220 pts; Comp 40cm inner 200pts
- Outdoor Optional: JOAD –36 arrows 30m 122cm, Olympic 230pts; Comp 245pts
- Outdoor Optional: AAA –36 arrows 50m 80cm, Trad 225 pts; Olympic 260 pts; Comp 270pts
Achievement of White Star Pin. Allowed to interview for ACADEMY Teams.
** Student must join USA Archery to participate in JOAD or AAA programs. They have a membership fee.
White Star Student Worksheet
Team Practice Sessions:
- Date: ____________, Instructor: _________ 3. Date: ____________, Instructor: _________
- Date: ____________, Instructor: _________ 4. Date: ____________, Instructor: _________
Explain how practice has helped you become a better archer.
________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________
Write four archery terms you use while practicing archery.
1. _____________________________ 3. _____________________________ 2. _____________________________ 4. _____________________________
Explain what adjustments you need to make to your sight if your arrows are shooting high and left of center.